z

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

April Vacation Video Gaming

My April vacation is emptier each year.


I bought Pokémon SoulSilver a few days ago for something to enjoy on my 5 hour bus ride to New York. 2 years prior, I purchased The World Ends with You. Surprisingly, the game tackled a lot of issues that I was facing in my own life. Discovering your identity and dealing with the fact that you could be just a player in a "game" played by a deity; simply, a meaningless person existing amongst a mass of other meaningless persons. It gave me an empty, and yet, full, feeling, when I completed the game. It was a video game character; and yet, I knew that this character and this story were created by people with the same ideas and feelings as me. I felt as though I made a connection, even though I didn't.


From then on, I bought a game to play in my April vacation trip to pass the time. For the past two years, I was hoping there would be something to fill the void after completing TWEWY. I was hoping some game could surpass my expectations and lead me to connect in such an extraordinary way. However, I couldn't find another like it. Rhythm Heaven was cute, and SoulSilver didn't give me the nostalgia trip I was secretly hoping for, after denying my love for Pokémon after buying Diamond.


Unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever find a game to match TWEWY.


Each April vacation becomes emptier and emptier. All I end up thinking about is the emotional experience of The World Ends with You, and how no game will ever live up to the standards of storyline and characters that, in my opinion, were set.


Now, I try to find something better in these April vacations.


I don't think that will happen though.




"Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world..."

2 comments:

Zack H said...

So, does anyone read these anymore? I wanted to get something out, I suppose.

Anonymous said...

I reccomend devil survivor : shin megami tense (or something like that). It's a turn based rpg along the lines of fire emblem and advance wars, but it has a great storyline to it.

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright Zack H.; RevYuu